What if I want to keep bees in the city limits of Green Bay?

Contact the Green Bay Humane Officer at 920-448-3266. The Humane Officer is responsible for permits and rules for keeping bees.


What should I do if I believe I’ve suffered losses due to pesticides?

Addressing bee losses each year due to pesticides is an important part of our beekeeping duty. Each year hives are lost because of this and reporting is the only way to effectively keep awareness in the forefront. Below you’ll find a link to an article explaining some options for testing and reporting losses. Also there is a link to a quick guide to give  you the information you need to assess and report.

Reporting Acute Bee Loss Incidents

Quick Guide to Reporting a Bee Kill Incident – PDF

How to Submit Samples to the Bee Lab in Beltsville, MD

General Instructions · Beekeepers, bee businesses, and regulatory officials may submit samples. · Samples are accepted from U.S. states and territories, and from Canada; samples are NOT accepted from other countries. · Include a short description of the problem along with your name, address, phone number or e-mail address.

There is no charge for this service.

For additional information, contact Bart Smith by phone at (301) 504-8821 or email: bart.smith@ars.usda.gov

How to Send Adult Honey Bees • Send at least 100 bees and if possible, select bees that are dying or that died recently. Decayed bees are not satisfactory for examination. • Bees should be placed in and soaked with 70% ethyl, methyl, or isopropyl alcohol as soon as possible after collection and packed in leak-proof containers. • USPS, UPS, and FedEx do not accept shipments containing alcohol. Just prior to mailing samples, pour off all excess alcohol to meet shipping requirements. • Do NOT send bees dry (without alcohol).

How to send brood samples · A comb sample should be at least 2 x 2 inches and contain as much of the dead or discolored brood as possible. NO HONEY SHOULD BE PRESENT IN THE SAMPLE. · The comb can be sent in a paper bag or loosely wrapped in a paper towel, newspaper, etc. and sent in a heavy cardboard box. AVOID wrappings such as plastic, aluminum foil, waxed paper, tin, glass, etc. because they promote decomposition and the growth of mold. · If a comb cannot be sent, the probe used to examine a diseased larva in the cell may contain enough material for tests. The probe can be wrapped in paper and sent to the laboratory in an envelope.

Send samples to: Bee Disease Diagnosis Bee Research Laboratory Bldg. 306 Room 316 Beltsville Agricultural Research Center – East Beltsville, MD 20705