During one of the club’s virtual meetings about installing and feeding nucs and packages the question came up about feeding using a zip top bag. No one in the meeting had any feedback so Carl Fisher has done some internet research and come up with the following.
- A very cost effective way to feed the bees. No extra equipment to buy except for zip top bags and a sharp knife but you probably already have those.
- Most folks use a gallon zip top freezer bag. Don’t see any reason a quart size wouldn’t work.
- Mix sugar water just like you would for other types of feeders. One part water to one part sugar (or 2 x 2).
- Fill the bag half way with the sugar solution.
- Gently lay the bag directly on top of the frames taking care not to smash your bees.
- Use a sharp knife to slice several one inch slits in the bag so the bees have access to the mixture. Don’t press too hard when cutting or you will have a sugary mess.
- Place a spacer on the hive.
- Replace the inner and outer covers.